The Speech House is the administrative building of the Forest of Dean, lying at the centre of the forest. It hosted the \’Court of the Speech\’, a sort of parliament for the Verderers and Free Miners managing the forest, game, and mineral resources of the area. It was severely damaged in the Revolution of 1688, but repaired soon thereafter. Around 1840 it began to be used as an inn, and by the late 19th century it was functioning as an hotel, which it continues to do.