Optimisation A/A

It’s been a while since I made any updates to the site. Lockdown has taken it’s toll to some extent – on a personal level the Coronavirus has brought with it some sad news, some stressful situations, and although far less important in the scheme of things, a virtual halt to my wildlife photography. I still have a large backlog of images I need to add to the website, and I will endeavour to get on with that task soon.

None of that is to say that the website has been neglected. I’ve continued to make improvements behind the scenes. Part of the process is ensuring that the site is as well optimised as it can be. Since I last posted one of these reports the site has become more graphically rich, resulting in more requests to the server and more bandwidth usage, and it has become more heavy/demanding in terms of functionality. These things are supposed to improve the experience for the visitor, but they bring consequences such as hits on speed, browser compatibility, etc. Despite this I’m pleased to report that I’ve managed to improve the site’s performance since last time. Although I’m no longer able to get the entire page load time below a second (the homepage is >3mb in its current form), for the first time I’ve managed to achieve an ‘A’ score with both PageSpeed and YSlow.

Previous Post

Trip report from the future

I didn't expect to be writing this trip report exactly two weeks before I'd even left the country, but here we are. Foreign Office advice and airlines pulling out of flying to my destination mean that my next trip isn't happening, and will have to wait for a future date. ... Read more

Next Post

Popular posts

I've made a small tweak to the homepage so that it now shows the most popular (most visited) posts. I might extend this to appear on other pages, or it might just remain on the homepage only. (update - I've added it to all pages that show news posts too, ... Read more

Skip to content